Only courses currently presented in English will be announced on this English version of the website. For the courses in Dutch, check the SHF activities calendar on the Dutch version of this website. A complete overview of courses in English is available in the COURSE OVERVIEW.
Basic Course Diving Medicine part 2, NL
The Scott Haldane basic course in Diving Medicine is for any doctor wanting to know more about diving and hyperbaric medicine, and who plans to do diving medical examinations, to certify in diving medicine and to further their education in Diving Medicine.
The course is split into two parts: Part I covers the basic principles in hyperbaric physics and hyperbaric physiology, diving disease and the requirements for ‘fit to dive’ examinations. Part II covers the practice of the diving medical examination, an introduction to hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), the medical consequences of different diving conditions, and different types of diving. The course meets all international requirements of the European Committee for Hyperbaric Medicine (ECHM), leading to the internationally recognized certification, Medical Examiner of Divers.
The following topics are covered:
- Physiological adaptation during diving:
- what are the changes during immersion, submersion and apnea diving?
- Dive Safety: diving procedures, diving equipment, gas mixtures, different kinds of divers, safety planning, safety regulation.
- Practice session - Diving Medical Examinaton (DME): how is a DME performed?
- Dive Accidents: differential diagnosis, pre-clinical treatment, knowledge of HBOT for diving accidents.
- Environmental factors: (dangerous) marine life, diving conditions, stress factors.